THINGS TO DO IN HONG KONG!

Klook.com

Sports and Fitness

My 9th Half-Marathon: Beating the MILO Cutoff & Setting a New PR (2:20:45)

By itsmejamesrhed - August 02, 2026

 

My 9th Half-Marathon: Beating the MILO Cutoff & Setting a New PR (2:20:45)


Discipline will always take you further than motivation ever could.

Going into the 50th National MILO® Marathon – Davao Leg, my game plan was simple: stay steady, respect the distance, and just beat the strict official cut-off time. Back in 2025, I opted for the 10km category because I honestly didn't believe I had the pace or conditioning to conquer MILO’s notoriously tough 2.5-hour standard cut-off for the half-marathon.

Fast forward to this year: not only did I step up to the 21km starting line, but I shattered my expectations by crossing the finish chute with an official time of 2:20:45 a brand-new Personal Record (PR)!

The Evolution: From 10K Doubts to a 21K Milestone



The MILO Marathon is legendary in the Philippines for a reason. It isn't just another fun run; it carries a standard of performance, competitive energy, and strict time limits that make every runner respect the course.


Looking back at where I was a year ago, standing at the 2026 starting line was a victory in itself. The shift from hesitating to register for a distance to dominating it proves that showing up consistently even when progress feels slow accumulates over time.

Race Day Strategy: Patience, Grit, and Smart Pacing



To clear a 2.5-hour cutoff on a hot, competitive course, you need a balance of mental discipline and pace control. I knew that blowing past my limit in the first 5 kilometers would cost me dearly in the final stretch.

  • Kilometers 1–7 (Controlled Rhythm): The gun fired and the adrenaline was running high. Instead of getting swept up in the fast pack, I dialed in my target pace early, saving essential energy for the second half.

  • Kilometers 8–15 (Holding the Line): This is where patience is tested. Focusing on smooth turnover, grabbing hydration at every aid station, and keeping my mind centered on steady progress kept the momentum going.

  • Kilometers 16–21 (The Final Surge): When I realized I wasn't just on track to beat the cutoff, but actually on pace for a personal best, every bit of fatigue disappeared. I locked in, pushed through the final kilometers, and emptied the tank on the home stretch.

Stopping my watch at 2:20:45 was pure euphoria.

The Power of Showing Up Every Day


This milestone isn't just about a finisher medal or a watch display. It’s a powerful personal reminder that patience, consistency, and daily effort pay off.

Doubts will always try to convince you to stay in your comfort zone just like I did in 2025. But stepping outside that comfort zone, trusting your preparation, and backing yourself on race day is where real growth happens.


Half-marathon #9 is officially in the books, complete with a brand-new PR and a dream fulfilled at the historic 50th National MILO Marathon. Time to celebrate, recover, and keep building for the next starting line!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments